Can dogs eat peanut butter without getting hurt?

Does your dog pop out of nowhere in the kitchen each time you open the jar of peanut butter? You're not by yourself. The majority of dog owners occasionally feed peanut butter to their pets, and dogs really get addicted to this nutty delicacy. It can be licked with a spoon and finger as a rapid incentive, or it may be put inside hollow bones or toys for a longer-lasting treat. But before you let the dog empty the peanut butter jar, there are a few health-related facts about peanut butter you should know.

Can dogs eat peanut butter?


Dogs can safely consume most types of peanut butter, but when it’s consumed in moderation, it can be a great source of healthy fats, protein, vitamins B or E, and niacin. Since excessive sodium levels can be harmful to dogs, the safest options are unsalted peanut butter, a dog-specific peanut butter, and made-at-home peanut butter. For an added benefit, homemade peanut butters don't include added sugar or other contaminants.

How much can dogs eat peanut butter?


Although peanut butter is high in protein and healthy fats, consuming too much of either can result in pancreatitis and obesity. To determine the amount of peanut butter to give a dog on a regular basis, there are two methods you might use. Making a call to your veterinarian and seeking their counsel is the first and most dependable course of action. This is particularly crucial for dog owners who have diabetic pets or dogs that have dietary sensitivity problems.

The ten percent rule is the second choice. Treats shouldn't typically account for more than 10% of your dog's diet. Just track the amount of food your dog consumes each day, and don't forget that it can be a good idea to switch up the treats your dog gets, such as fruits or vegetables that are safe for dogs, from peanut butter to healthier options.

Cautions: Xylitol

Peanut Butter

While the majority of peanut butter is harmless, some varieties can be fatal. Some peanut butter producers have recently shifted to using xylitol as a sweetener. A common sugar alternative in sugar-free goods is xylitol, which can be found in baked goods, gum, tooth paste, breath mints, and chewable vitamins. It is poisonous to dogs but safe for humans.

When dogs consume xylitol, their bodies release insulin quickly, which causes their blood sugar levels to drop dramatically and quickly as well. and, if untreated, may pose a threat to life. Hypoglycemia, as this condition is scientifically called, can happen as soon as 10 to 60 minutes after consuming xylitol.

Poisoning from xylitol is easily prevented. All dog owners have to do is make sure xylitol is listed on the labels of any peanut butter and other items they intend to feed their pets, and they should also keep anything containing xylitol out of their dogs' reach. In the event that you suspect your dog has consumed xylitol, get in touch with your veterinarian right away. You should also watch out for signs of xylitol poisoning, which include weakness, collapse, staggering, loss of coordination, and seizures.

Put an end to keeping your dog in anticipation. Yes, peanut butter is acceptable for dogs to eat as long as it is provided in moderation and doesn't include xylitol. Spread the word about this healthy eating option and pull out your pet-friendly peanut butter container.

Related Post:

Post a Comment

Please Select Embedded Mode To Show The Comment System.*

Previous Post Next Post